A Culture of Peace and Non-Violence

I found this in one of my files I hadn't looked at in a while and it is still as beautiful to me today as it was 5 years ago when I first read it at http://www.unesco.org and since we are not doing too well with this goal, we sometimes need to remind ourselves that it has not stopped being a goal.

"Manifesto 2000 for a culture of Peace and Non-violence

Because the year 2000 must be a new beginning, an opportunity to transform - all together - the culture of war and violence into a culture of peace and non-violence.

Because this transformation demands the participation of each and every one of us, and must offer young people and future generations the values that can inspire them to shape a world based on justice, solidarity, liberty, dignity, harmony and prosperity for all.

Because the culture of peace can underpin sustainable development, environmental protection and the well-being of each person.

Because I am aware of my share of responsibility for the future of humanity, in particular to the children of today and tomorrow.

I pledge in my daily life, in my family life, my work, my community, my country and my region, to:

Respect the life and dignity of each human being without discrimination or prejudice;

Practice active non-violence, rejecting violence in all its forms: physical, sexual, psychological, economical and social, in particular towards the most deprived and vulnerable such as children and adolescents;

Share my time and material resources in a spirit of generosity to put an end to exclusion, injustice and political and economic oppression;

Defend freedom of expression and cultural diversity, giving preference always to dialogue and listening without engaging in fanaticism, defamation and the rejection of others;

Promote consumer behavior that is responsible and development practices that respect all forms of life and preserve the balance of nature on the planet;

Contribute to the development of my community with the full participation of women and respect for democratic principles, in order to create together new forms of solidarity;

Peace Is In Our Hands

2001-2010 International Decade
For A Culture Of Peace And Non-Violence
For The Children Of The World " http://www.unesco.org

What can I tell you.....I believe I have more of a chance to make a difference for peace in the world than I do of having enough money to buy an enchanting "villa in Tuscany"! :)